Monday, March 7, 2011

How I got there......

My plan ever since I was a little girl was to grow up and be a wife and a mother. My own mother got married at age 17 & had me at 19, so I thought I would give myself a little more time and that by the time I was 19 I would be getting married and at about 21 I would start my family of about 15 children.

Isn't it amazing the goals we set for ourselves when we have no clue about how life works!!

Imagine how surprised I was when at that magical age of 19 I was not engaged.... I wasn't even dating anyone! One day a good family friend of ours asked me what I was planning to do with my life.... Hmmm, good question. I was currently working in the bridal department at JC Penneys, but knew that wasn't a life long career. I thought about becoming a nurse, but couldn't get into the nursing program for 2 years. A few people had suggested that I go to Beauty School- my first thought was that "only dumb blondes who can't do anything else go to beauty school, then someone asked if I thought the gal who did my hair was dumb?" Umm no- She was actually pretty cool, so I went to check it out, luckily for me I could start the Cosmetology program in 2 weeks. I did and wouldn't you know it- I was the only blonde in my class!

Since then and especially since marrying and RN I decided that being a hairstylist is better than being a nurse- people do come to see me because they want to feel better, and I can accomplish it without a needle in sight.

1 comment:

  1. I'll take a cute haircut over a shot any day of the week! And with you as the stylist...hello?? No brainer!

    ReplyDelete